Saturday, March 10, 2007

Red Fuji Sushi - 930 King Street West - Toronto

Graham: Right next door to the Bungalow Cafe, on the north side of King, you'll find Red Fuji Sushi, a tiny sushi restaurant.


We came in and looked around for a "menu". The only thing available was the take out flyer, and the specials written on a whiteboard behind the counter. We sat down at one of the two tables to decide what to order.




At first we thought the selection provided by the take out menu was pretty good. Elizabeth decided on the Seafood Udon (aka #46), and I was going to have the Chicken Set (#42). When we tried to order these, the chef mumbled something like "take too long", and shook his head. So our initial choices were rejected and we sat down again to pick something more to the restaurant's liking.

Elizabeth: The were only serving sushi. Not sure why they have take-out menu.


For our second choice, Liz picked Ume Sushi (#24) and I picked "Special D". These were accepted and we sat back down while the chef made them.



We were planning on eating in the restaurant, but when the food was finished (after about 10 minutes) it was presented to us in plastic containers inside of a plastic bag. We decided to take the food home and eat there. The total price was only 24 dollars, which I found very reasonable.

Both of our meals came with Miso Soup, which tasted a bit more like salty water with rubbery chunks of tofu than the Miso I'm used to.

I didn't like it either. Too watery, not much taste to it.


I took a single bite of one of Elizabeth's sushi pieces (the salmon) and it left an unusual fishy aftertaste that I did not like.

The fish was cut very thin, and not too fresh. There was way too much rice in the sushi. Just like the miso soup, sushi was tastless. I eat 3 pieces and had to throw the rest away. For the reference I think that 'Japango', a small sushi restaurant on Elizabeth st. (Bay/Dundas area), is a bit more pricy but way better tasting.

I will not go back to Red Fuji Sushi. I give this restaurant 1/5 stars.


My sushi selection consisted of 6 California rolls, 5 salmon tempura rolls, and 3 inari sushi pieces. I have to say that I really liked the inari. It's the first time that I've tried it, and the sweetness of the inari along with the saltiness of the soy sauce and the heat of the wasabi was an excellent combination. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the rolls as much. They were covered in toasted sesame seeds, and tasted ok, but they were nothing special, and the two roll types tasted almost identical to each other.


Overall, I'd say while this restaurant is very cheap, you do get what you pay for and the quality is definitely a bit lower than average. I don't think I'll be going here again.

Summary
Red Fuji Sushi
930 King Street West
(416) 603-9992
Price: 24$ for 2 people
Rating: 1/5

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

> Both of our meals came with Miso
> Soup, which tasted a bit more like
> salty water with rubbery chunks of
> tofu than the Miso I'm used to.

Does not Miso soup always taste like that anyways? ;)

Too bad the sushis were bad, they looked fine on the pics. However, fish which is not fresh can definitively ruin the taste.

I can't believe they wouldn't sell you something on the menu because it taked too long hehe.

Graham Smith said...

Yeah it's really weird that he wouldn't sell us what we asked for. I'm guessing it's more likely that he didn't have the ingredients to make those menu items, and just didn't want to admit it for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Thanks G & E - you saved me from going to Red Fuji... I've never heard anyone say the sushi was so bad that they wouldn't finish it! Keep up the good work.