Saturday, March 24, 2007

Old York Bar & Grill - 167 Niagara Street

On Friday evening, after a few drinks and some DDR (that's Dance Dance Revolution for you non-gamers), we decided to head out to our next destination "The Foggy Dew" at the corner of King and Niagara. We actually tried to get out here last Saturday for lunch, but there was a huge line up out front PLUS a cover fee for St. Patricks Day, so we decided to hold off.

We arrived at the pub, and found the place completely full. There was a Leafs game on, and we were informed by the waitress that there were no tables available, and might not be for a few hours (game was still in the first period). So after a short discussion, we decided to try out the Old York Bar and Grill, a pub on Niagara street that we had passed a few times, but have never visited.



This week, we were joined by our favourite couple Ana and Milan.



Inside, the bar is pretty small, about 7 or 8 tables, with a small stage beside the bar. A placecard on the table listed out all the acts that will be playing each Saturday, mostly bands I've never heard of. There is going to be an open mic comedy night next Saturday which could be very entertaining.


Milan ordered the special, which was Haddock and chips:


I had a small bite of it and it was pretty tasty, and not too greasy. Milan said he enjoyed his meal.


I decided on the "Veggie Beer Chili", because I thought it sounded interesting.:


Now, I'm usually pretty tolerant when it comes to spicy food, but this chili was still very hot for me. By the end of it, my tongue was burning and my face was sweating. Fortunately, I enjoy this type of food, but if Elizabeth had ordered it, she would not have been happy.

Liz: I scooped a pea size of chili and my tongue was burning for the next 10 minutes. Toooooo spicy for me.

The chili was mostly sauce and kidney beans, with some pieces of broccoli mixed in, and cheese on top. The taste of the chili was decent, but it would have been so much better if there was meat of some kind in there. It really felt as if something was missing.


Elizabeth got the Falafel Burger:


I actually wanted fries and there were 2 meals that came with the fries: special and burger.
Since Milan chose the special I settled for the Falafel Burger. Lucky me, falafel was yummy. Between the four dishes we ordered I liked my meal the best. Put some ketchup and mustard on it, perfect. Bun was not the freshest, so I took the top bun off. Fries were the typical bar fries, fried in old oil. I enjoyed the tasted of overcooked oil.....you know what I'm talking about.

Ana got the Jerk Chicken Wings:


The wings were served with a mix of rice and kidney beans. These wings were tasty, but also very spicy.


Oh, oh! I also tasted Ana's chicken wings. S P I C Y ! If you are not into spicy food do NOT order chili or jerk chicken wings. It burned my tongue.

When the meal was over, Milan wanted it to be his treat, but he only had a 500 billion dollar bill, and the bar couldn't make change, so we just ended up splitting the cost.


Overall, I'd recommend this place. The food was decent and reasonably priced. The bill came to just over 66 dollars for the four of us, including drinks. It's a great local pub.

I'd like to visit this place again in the summer, because I think they have a great patio and I really like that they are not located on a busy street.

Summary
Old York Bar & Grill
167 Niagara Street
(416) 703-9675
Price: 75$ for 4 people
Rating: 3.5/5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great place for any occassion. somewhat more intimate that a regular pub, with entertainment (live music, open mike) 4-5 days a week. resonablly priced (especially if you don't end up spilling half of your pint). friendly service, although a bit slow with food. great fish n' chips.
looking forward to chilling in their corner patio in the summer, hidden away from the main-street traffic.
overall: 8/10

Anonymous said...

Haha 500 billion dollar bill! That was good! Hey Milan buy me a chopper!

If Graham says it's hot you better believe it's hot, that guy eats peppers like a good ol' mexican!

Say hi to Ana and Milan guys!