Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Foggy Dew - 803 King Street West

Graham: After two failed attempts to get into The Foggy Dew, we finally succeeded on Thursday evening.


The Foggy Dew is at the south east corner of King and Niagara. The daily specials and draft beers are displayed on a chalkboard out front.


We arrived around 6pm and the place was already pretty full, there were only a few tables available. The atmosphere is very warm and cozy. There are televisions scattered all over the place, making it easy for anyone at your table to see whatever sporting event is on.


For my meal, I decided to go with a pub staple, the club sandwich. It was served with fresh cut fries, and creamy coleslaw.



My meal was great.
I really enjoyed the fresh cut fries, and Liz must have too because she ate most of them. The sandwich and coleslaw were also very good. I wouldn't hesitate to order this again.

Liz decided to go with the Thursday special, Liver and Onions:


Liz: I was excited to order liver & onions because it has been a while since I've had it. Back when I worked in Welland, Ontario one of my favorite lunches was beef liver & onions over mashed potatoes at the 'Blue Star' cafeteria. It cost $4, and came with a free pop. If price is any indication of how good a meal is then $11 bucks for the same meal should give me some darn good food, right?

Not quite.

After my first bite I forced myself to try 3 more but could not continue. I was pretty upset with how poor my food tasted. I had a small lunch at work and was quite hungry. The mashed potatoes were watery and tasteless. Heated up frozen peas .... not my taste. The liver tasted bleak, and the gravy just made it worse. After the waitress spotted my plate still full and pushed to the side (picture below) she asked me if the food was alright. I told her I was not happy with my meal and could not eat it. She said, 'Sorry', and brought us the bill. It bothered me that I was asked to pay $11 for the food that was not edible. I wanted to leave the place ASAP.

I rate my meal 1/5



Thanks to our favourite couple, Ryan & Monique, for the gift certificate. The prices here are fairly reasonable, and it covered most of our meal.

But, I didn't eat my meal.. I guess you can't 'return' a meal even if you have a receipt.



This place has become very popular. If you're going to try and get a table on the night of a hockey or basketball game, make sure to arrive early. They fill up quickly and stay full for the whole event.

True. We tried to get in on the St. Patrick's Day, for lunch, but it was sold out.


This is our third time at this pub and every time the atmosphere is friendly and relaxing. Its a great place to go with your buddies and watch a game while chugging beer and eating fries.


Overall, the dinner was pleasant, and I enjoyed my meal. I'd rate this place at about the same level as the Old York, although I think I prefer the Old York's more secluded patio.

Despite my meal review I will give this pub a good rating. The reason being that interior design that makes it my favorite place to watch a game. The seating arrangement creates relaxing and 'at home' atmosphere. TVs are set up in such a way that its easy to see whats on from where ever you may sit.

Summary
The Foggy Dew
803 King Street West
(416) 703-4042
Price: 40$ for 2 people
Rating: 3.5/5